Saturday, April 18, 2015

Blueberry Pancake

One eats a lot of eggs on the Whole30. Which is fine for the first... Five days and then I am simply over it. I loved my oatmeal with butter, raisins, and a splash of maple syrup in the mornings, but I haven't had oatmeal in 27 days! I can't believe it's already been 27 days.

Anyway, the weekend is the time for me to explore new breakfasts and be a little more relaxed. During the week I usually fry up two eggs, have some sausage, and some fruit. I try and do different things on the weekends to mix up the breakfast routine.

So today I made this:


A blueberry egg pancake. It was delicious and tasted so much different than eggs. With the addition to cinnamon (yum!) and the blueberries, it totally rocked my world. It's simple, quick, and probably something I will make during the week as well. I need quick, easy, and satisfying during the week. 


The whole process took me about 6-7 minutes to do and the clean up was the bowl used for whipping the eggs, plate for the end result, and the fork and spatula. We use cast iron skillets in our house, and luckily the skillet I use is so nicely seasoned it hardly leaves traces of anything on it.


I am not the best flipper of eggs in the world, but luckily this process was pretty easy. I used a tiny skillet as I was only doing two eggs and coconut oil seems to work the best when trying to flip food.


I am so grateful for all the resources out there for Whole30 recipes. And since this is my second time doing it, I am more comfortable with knowing what I can eat that it makes me do a bit more exploring. I often times take someone's recipe and alter it to my tastes. As long as I have the basics down, I add or subtract certain ingredients depending on what I am feeling. 

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. Next time I am going to make it with four eggs, as two just didn't seem enough. I imagine this would be good with blackberries and strawberries too!

Blueberry Egg Pancake

2 eggs (or 4 depending on how hungry you are)
1-2 tsp of cinnamon (I used more cause I live cinnamon)
1-2 tsp of black pepper 
A small spoonful of coconut oil
A handful of blueberries (or diced strawberries or blackberries)

In a small skillet (I used an 8 inch cast iron) add the coconut oil and let get warm on medium heat.

While the coconut oil is melting, whisk the eggs, cinnamon, and black pepper together to make an omelet like consistency.

Once pan is nice and warm, pout egg mixture into skillet. Keep an eye on the eggs as you don't want to cook them too fast. When the eggs become baked on the bottom with a bit of uncooked egg on top, (about 2-3 min depending on how your oven is) add the blueberries. 

Carefully flip the eggs onto the next side and let cook for another minute or two.

Grab a plate and flip the pancake, blueberry side facing, onto it. 

Grab a fork, a cup of tea or coffee, and enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can imagine that sort of, sort of like French Toast without the bread!

    ReplyDelete