Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rainbow Quinoa Salad


Since it is summer and bloody hot in my house, I am finding ways to make a healthy, fulfilling dinner, without using much of the stove top or the oven. It's quite a challenge if you're like me and get tired of eating the same thing over and over again. I can handle eating a salad two or three times a week, but after that, I don't want to see lettuce until the next week. I am like this with everything, and it drives my partner crazy. But, I am picky. And opinionated. And extremely stubborn. So when I started cooking with quinoa more, I thought this would be a great dish and it would include all the colours of the rainbow. 


I love corn. And I love black beans, and I think they are delicious together. Something about corn reminds me of the summer, and I enjoy it so much. It's sweet, crunchy, and delicious. And don't you worry, this is 100% organic corn, so need to worry about GMOs in my food. I don't usually have time to soak beans over night and then cook them when I am ready. Not that I don't have time, let me rephrase that: I don't remember doing this vital step. So I used canned beans, but I do rinse them as well as boil them so that people don't get gassy. Other than that and the quinoa, nothing needs to be cooked. 


Quinoa and I met just recently, and we fell in love. It's such a simple little grain but it is so filling and filled with fiber, something I need very much. And, it cooks just like rice so it doesn't take a long time.


The one thing I really like about this salad is all the colour from all the vegetables. You can add whatever vegetables you want to this mix, but I like the way I have it listed below. It's crisp, sweet, sour, and light. The sauce that goes on this is delicious as well, with the dash of lime and cumin, it adds a nice little summery kick to it.


And I love that I can use a lot of avocados, because they are just so delicious and good for you. 



The sauce is simple: olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, and lime juice. It's a great summer sauce and adds to the lightness of this salad. I really appreciate that part of this. And the quinoa just soaks it up, which makes a huge difference the next day because the flavours have really mixed together.


This is a great dish to take to a BBQ because it makes so much! I also tend to cook up more quinoa because I like to save some and make a breakfast dish in it the next morning so I get a good, complete breakfast.




Rainbow Quinoa Salad
Serves: A LOT!

2 c. un-cooked quinoa
1 red onion
1/2 each of: green, red, yellow, and orange bell pepper
1 32oz. black beans (the large one, which may not be 32, but not the 15 oz.)
1 15oz. corn kernels
1 container of cherry tomatoes, or any other small tomatoes
1 tbs. vinegar
1-2 avocados (your choice on how much avocado you want. I personally think more is better)

For Sauce:
1/2 c. olive oil
1 container of lime juice
1 tbs. cumin (or more to taste)
salt and pepper to taste

Wash two cups of quinoa thoroughly, removing any sand or dirt crumbles you might find. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add quinoa. Bring down to a simmer, place the lid on the pot, and let cook for 20 minutes, undisturbed (much like rice).

Meanwhile, rinse black beans and corn, and also cook in a pot with water for at least 5 minutes (you can not do this as well, but I have noticed that if you don't cook it for just a bit, you and your company may get some gas).

While everything is cooking, chop all the vegetables. I cube the avocado to small pieces so that it goes with the rest of the sizes. Once everything is chopped, place in a LARGE bowl with the tablespoon of vinegar.

Strain the beans and corn and rise with cold water. Add to the bowl with the vegetables. Once quinoa is done cooking, let cool for 20 minutes. Add to vegetable mixture and stir thoroughly, making sure that there are no clumps of quinoa.

Dressing: whisk all ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasoning as you see fit. I like it limey, so if you don't, add more olive oil to tame the lemon juice. I also like mine a bit cumin-y, so the tablespoon isn't too much, but if you want more, add more.

Add the dressing, and stir the salad well. I like mine to cool down before I eat it, as it is more summery that way, so I stick it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, which also allows all the flavors to combine.

Enjoy!

1 comment: