Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ginger Snaps


It's been awhile, I know. I could give you all my excuses, sure, but I don't want to. Instead, I will tell you I've been busy gardening and living life. Also, it has been so bloody hot in Flagstaff lately that the thought of turning on the oven is gut wrenching. We have a sunroom, right next to the kitchen, and lately that sun room has been hitting the triple digits, and the house itself is usually in the upper 80's. So, baking and cooking is something I try and keep to a minimum.



I made these cookies for my April book club meeting. Yes, I know... It's extremely nerdy to be in a book club, but I love books, and I love people who love books. And I love having a night every month where I can hang out with my friends and be nerdy. It's so much fun, and while we are still in the beginning of figuring out how these things work, I am enjoying it immensely. But yes, I have been holding this recipe for almost two months and I don't feel bad about it. And you'll forgive me as soon as you make them yourself. See that molasses colour up there? You know they are going to be delicious.


I think it is essential to always keep dry and wet ingredients separate. I don't think it's a good idea to just combine things in one bowl all at once and hope for the best. That's the thing with baking--it actually is like a chemistry--you have to measure things out perfectly, mix things properly, and keep liquids and dry ingredients separate until it is read to combine them.


These are the perfect cookies to take over to someone's house for tea. They are tender and soft right after you bake them, but they do tend to crisp up as they start really cooling down. Which is great to dip tea in! The tea moistens them all up, and then they just melt in your mouth. They were a hit at the book club get together, as well as home. My partner ate about 7 in one night, so you know they are good. I even enjoyed this one... just so I could take a picture of the texture on top and in the middle of these babies. It was pure torture. ;)


Ginger Snaps
Makes about 2 dozen cookies

1/4 c. organic vegetable shortening
1/4 c. granulated sugar, plus 2-4 tbs for rolling cookies in
2 tbs. light brown sugar
3 tbs. molasses
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. xantham gum
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a bowl of a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the shortening and the 1/4 c. granulated sugar, mixing on medium speed until smooth and fluffy (1 min. or so). Add the brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla mixing thoroughly (2 mins. or so).

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture and beat on low to combine, scraping down sides when necessary. 

Using your hands, roll teaspoon (I did slightly larger... maybe a tablespoon) size pieces of dough into balls. 

Pour the remaining sugar in a shallow bowl and roll the balls of dough in the sugar, making sure to evenly coat each cookie. 

Bake in the center rack for about 12 minutes, until puffy and they start to crack. Let cook on sheets before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment