Sunday, March 17, 2013

Blueberry Scones

Well, as you could have guessed from my last post, it's only natural that I ended up making scones. Since spring time is coming, all the fruit I have been missing is coming back into season. We bought some blueberries a couple days ago, and I just knew that I was going to make scones. I just had to wait until I had the time. I feel like I am just as busy now as I was in Grad school.


We slept in Saturday morning, and when I woke up, I got straight to work on making scones. Which also explains why the pictures are so crappy. Sorry, I am trying to figure out the lighting here in the house for picture taking. Once it get's warmer, I am hoping to implement our garden into the pictures more, since we'll be using most of that produce for all our summer cooking/baking.


I used my flour mixture, which, in my opinion  is the best gluten-free flour mixture. Now, me sharing this with you is a big step, because I am kind of selfish when it comes to recipes. But I am trying to grow and share... and remember all the lessons you learn when you're a kid. ;) Anyway, the gluten-free flour mixture is a combination of 3 different flours/starches, and makes about 5 cups a batch. Which is perfect because I usually only use 1.5 cups of this flour when baking. Except with the scones, because they take a whopping 3 cups!


These scones are my speciality. It took me quite some time to really master them. To include secret ingredients (that I won't share here) to make them just the way I want them. There's a ton of variation to this recipe. You could use any type of fruit you want, except maybe the watery fruits like kiwi and mango, or you could just leave the fruit out, and add a 2 teaspoons of vanilla to it. Or, you could go super bland, and just do nothing. Your choice. The possibilities are endless with this baby.


The two of us each had three this morning, and are looking forward to tomorrow morning when we can have more. We took the lemon curd that I made the other night, and dolloped our scones with it. There are numerous ways to eat scones. I prefer to cut mine in half and put lemon curd on each half, while my partner likes to just dollop the lemon curd on the whole scone. I love the colour of the yellow and blue from the blueberries. It makes this delicious purple swirl of colour. And the lemon and blueberries just go so well together, I have a hard time making any other type of scone. :)


Kyrie's Gluten-Free Flour Mix
Makes 5 cups

4 c. superfine brown rice flour
1 1/3 c. potato starch (not potato flour)
2/3 c. tapioca flour (also known as tapioca starch)

Measure flour using a large spoon and scooping into the measuring cup, then level with back of knife. Do NOT use the measuring cup itself to scoop flour--this will compact flour and will end up with too much.

Combine all ingredients in a gallon-size ziplock bag. Shake until well blended. Store in the fridge until you're ready to use it.

Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones
Makes 12-16 scones depending on size you make

1 (6-ounce) container of plain coconut milk yogurt
3/4 c. oat milk (or your choice of non-dairy milk)
3 c. gluten-free flour mixture
3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tbs. double-acting baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. canola oil
1 container of fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking pans with parchment paper or oil.

Whisk together the yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a larger bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, double-acting baking powder, and salt.

Add the milk and canola oil to the dry ingredients, as well as the blueberries. Mix until there's no more dry flour and everything is evenly distributed and combined.

Flour a work surface (I use a medium-sized cutting board) with a little bit of the gluten-free flour mixture. Take half the scone mixture and place on prepared surface. Pat into a 6 to 8 inch disk and cute into wedges, like you would a pie. Place the triangles on the prepared baking pan, and repeat with the rest of the dough.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown. Eat right from the oven, and dollop lemon curd or jam of your choosing on top.

Store in ziplock bag for 2-3 days (if you have left overs).

2 comments:

  1. MMMMMMM this so far is my favorite!!! I definitely want to try to make these some time!! Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good and don't take long to make. I also like mine heated up, it gives them an extra lightness to them. When they are at room temperature, they can be a little dense. :) Enjoy!

      Delete