Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Coconut Tapioca Pudding


I really enjoy tapioca pudding. I remember my grandma always buying a container when I went to go visit, and trying so hard to make it last the entire time I was there. It was just so good. Since becoming even more sensitive with my allergies, I haven't had tapioca pudding in at least 10 years. I missed it, and I decided to try and cook some up myself. And let me tell you, this tapioca pudding beats anything you can buy at the store. And since we all know how much I love coconut, it only made sense for the tapioca pudding to be coconut infused!





















 



This is a pretty quick cook, besides the fact that you soak the tapioca in milk overnight, but that's pretty easy to do! You easily forget about it. And, it does take about 4 hours for the pudding to set up (I always place it in the freezer for an hour ot two so I can eat it sooner). It's a pretty easy recipe that can be tweeked or left alone.


This tapioca reminds me of those days spent at my grandma's house. But ten time better. It's a great treat to bring to parties (I think we all have memories of tapioca pudding) that will spark happiness. The texture is so creamy, and the coconut flakes add a little roughness to the creaminess. It's such a good mix. I can't explain how good this is, and with such simple ingredients (I forgot to picture the cornstarch), it's a simple dessert that lasts quite awhile. 

Coconut Tapioca Pudding
Serves 6, generously

2 cups oat milk (or any other form of non-dairy milk except coconut milk (I use less of this milk, so I can add the whole can of coconut milk))
1/3 c. tapioca pearls
1 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. agave syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cornstarch with 1 tbs. water mixed in (you can also use arrowroot if you don't have any cornstarch on hand)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 to 3/4 c. shredded coconut (optional)*

In a large pot, soak the tapioca overnight with 1 cup of the oat milk. The tapioca will fluffy up and get big, much like beans. If you notice the liquid being all soaked up, add a dash more until you're ready to cook.

When you're ready to cook, add the other cup of milk and warm the mixture over medium heat. Wait until the pudding is boiling, and then add coconut milk, agave, and vanilla. Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring constantly. The way you can tell it is ready is when all the tapioca pearls become translucent and lose their white colouring.

Add the cornstartch-water mixture and salt, cooking and stirring for an additional 5 minutes. Add the shredded coconut, mix thoroughly, and place in a glass or ceramic bowl (no plastic, as the heat will make the toxins from the plastic leak into your pudding). Place in the freezer (or fridge if you can wait 6 hours) for an hour or two, until set and no longer hot.

Serve and enjoy! It is a little on the rich size, so I tend to only eat a couple bites to get my sweet-tooth craving under control. Keep in a covered container for 5 days, if it lasts that long.

*This would be really good with sliced almonds, or maybe some dried craneberries! Or maybe some spice like cinnamon! I encourage you to experiment. I just always do coconut cause I know it's so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment