Monday, March 4, 2013

Welcome

Hi! My name is Kyrie, and this is my kitchen. I do a lot of baking, and quite a bit of cooking. I have dietary restrictions and I am picky, which makes it frustrating to go out to eat. I have learned a lot about cooking and baking with these restrictions, and I am here to show you that you can make some delicious food without what America has deemed “necessary” to bake/cook with.
A little about myself: I switched to eating an organic based diet about two years ago. This switch, as well as some other things mentioned below has helped with a massive weight loss of 50 pounds. I have added being gluten-free and dairy-free (99% of the time) to my list of things to avoid. About a year ago, I did a self-experiment with gluten. I ate a sandwich, got awfully sick, bloated, and uncomfortable, so I didn’t eat any form of gluten for two weeks. Then, I ate another sandwich (same kind of bread and fixings) and realized all the things I felt before were back. I got rid of it from my diet and have felt so much better—energy has increased, I don’t have pain in my intestines, and so much more. I do indulge in an organic tortilla from time to time, but I mostly say no to gluten. When it came to dairy, it was easy. I have always had sensitivity to dairy, even when I was a little, and so it was easy to get rid of it completely. I do eat aged cheese (aged cheese after a year no longer has lactose in it, and is safe to eat for those who suffer from lactose intolerance. But, like anything, moderation is key, as I still get sick if I eat too much of it). I can’t say that I am 100% vegan, since I do eat eggs, but all my baking, unless for a customer who doesn’t have dietary restrictions are all vegan. There are a lot of vegan and gluten-free alternatives these days, and I have experimented with a lot of different brands, and have come to find a good alternatives, and some pretty not so good ones.
My gluten-free flour is a mix of three different alternatives: brown rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato flour. This combination is the perfect combination. It doesn’t taste like gluten-free flour, and I have used it in exchange of normal all-purpose flour, and I have yet to experience anything dramatic from it. Those who don’t have a sensitivity to gluten will eat my baked treats and cannot even tell it’s gluten-free and vegan. If people who don’t have sensitivities to gluten and dairy really enjoy my treats, and can’t even tell… I know I’ve done a great job!
My partner and I are in this lifestyle together. While he doesn’t have sensitivities like I do, he has noticed a difference in his energy since making the switch to gluten-free and dairy-free.  We also participate in juicing regularly, eating vegetarian, and just being healthy. We do indulge in sweets, but at least we know they are good sweets—nothing fake, no chemicals, all organic, and all delicious.
Welcome to my kitchen. Please make yourself at home, take off your shoes, and enjoy. I hope you like what you see.
Xx
Kyrie

4 comments:

  1. I am going to comment on this because I know first hand how healthy and delicious your food is. I also know, from observation, that what you say about the changes in yourself and your partner are true. Love seeing this blog, great idea! I have added you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, String! You're welcome to the B&B anytime, I hope you know! :) I've even created something that's just as addicting as the squash mash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kyrie!! I know we haven't spoken in ages!! But I have been gluten-free for 2 weeks now! I am trying to stay away form Dairy but for some reason i keep finding myself "forgetting" to say no cheese. Anyway!! I have been noticing your gluten free baking on FB and decided I would check out your blog and you have been part of my inspiration to actually listen to my doctor and give up dairy and gluten!! My fiance is also changing is diet to support me :) It's nice to have someone by your side.
    <3 Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brandy! Good for you! It's for sure hard to get rid of gluten and dairy. And it's in EVERYTHING! There are a lot of great dairy alternatives these days. They make some goat cheese brie if you like brie, and coconut milk icecream is my guilty pleasure! There's also some great alternatives to gluten as well. I hope you find my recipes helpful and delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete