Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Quadruple Coconut Muffins



I really love coconut. REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love coconut. I think it is delicious. Coconut water, coconut oil, coconut flakes, chocolate covered coconut. All of it. I have not met something I didn't like that featured coconut. So when I decided to make muffins featuring coconut, I knew I was going to use as many forms of coconut that made sense. This, of course, lead to coconut oil, coconut flour, coconut yogurt, and coconut flakes. And trust me, it's all about the coconut with these delicious babies.


There are a lot of health benefits to coconut. I drink coconut water pretty regularly, especially after a hike, before or after a massage, just because I can. It's delicious and so very hydrating. I make my own coconut oil lotion by whipping it up with my stand up mixer, and adding a few drops of essential oils (usually lavendar because the two combined smell heavenly). It's natural and healthy. Yes, it takes awhile to get used to the oily aspect of it, but I have noticed that if I put it on right after I step out of the shower and pat myself dry, my skin eats it up and there's harldy any oil on my skin. I especially use this on my face, since I don't trust any other type of face product on my deliciate little face. I also put coconut in my mouth and swish it around for about 10 minutes. This helps whiten your teeth naturally, but it also helps you feel better if you feel like you're getting sick or are sick. It pulls all the bacteria out of your mouth, and trust me, when you spit it out, you will notice the bacteria in the coconut oil. It's amazing. I also use it for burns, cuts, scratches, or anything else. Needless to say, coconut oil is my go-to everything.


Of course I don't just use coconut on the outside of my body, I also consume it. Regularly. Whether it's making coconut muffins, coconut bread, or putting coconut flakes in my coconut milk yogurt. It's just good.


These muffins are easy to transport to office meetings, brunch, or just to move from your kitchen to the table to eat. I tend to cut the muffins in half and put some vegan butter on them. These are really, really, really good with lemon curd! I don't really like cold muffins, so I always heat them up after the first day. They just taste better, so stick them in the microwave for 20 seconds. It also helps the vegan butter melt and get into the pores of the muffin. :)


These are not sweet, and you can tell that by the amount of sugar that's in these babies. The coconut flour, coconut yogurt, the shredded coconut, the coconut oil... I think it all adds to the sweetness. It's subtle, which makes them a perfect breakfast. You can go into Starbucks and get a treat, and it is just packed with sugar. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!


Quadruple Coconut Muffins
Yields a dozen


1/2 c. virgin coconut oil
3/4 c. gluten-free flour mix
1/2 c. coconut yogurt
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. table salt
1 c. plain coconut yogurt at room temp.
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg at room temp.
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 c. sweetened (or unsweetened, your choice) shredded coconut, divided

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Grease muffin pan with coconut oil, or line with papers

Warm your coconut oil either in the microwave or in a small saucepan until it just barely melts.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Stir 2/3 cup of shredded coconut.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, coconut oil, coconut yogurt, and vanilla. Stir this into the dry ingredients until just combined. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins. Sprinkle top of muffins with the remaining coconut.

Bake about 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes clean.

Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days. Although, they usually don't last that long in our house.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, my favorite, coconut! Thanks for this one! I have a question about using the oil for mouthwash...the oil I have is not runny...are you using a liquid form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just put about a tablespoon in the microwave for 10 seconds to get it to melt. Boo just puts it in his mouth and let's the temperature in there melt it. You could also put a little out in the sun (if you get any) to let it warm up if you don't want to use the microwave.

      Delete