Wednesday, April 3, 2013

White bean and Kale stew

I do a lot more baking than I do cooking. Or rather, I am more excited to bake than to cook. As you can tell from most of my posts, I am a baker at heart, and it's what I do for comfort and enjoyment. I am in the process of figuring out, or rather, trying to get the courage, to make a bakery happen here in Flagstaff. An all organic bakery that specializes in gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan baked goods. As well as baking up some treats that have all those things in them. Although, I am 100% positive that most people who would try my stuff would not even be able to tell that the desserts/baked treats they are consuming are gluten-free and vegan. I really am THAT good. You may think I am just being overly confident, but I don't know many people who have a strict diet like I do, and I tend to always bring baked goods to get togethers, and no one ever notices that the baked good they are eating, is free from all the things I am allergic too. It's pretty funny to see people's reactions when they ask me what's in it and the first thing I tell them are the things that ARE NOT in it. It makes me very happy and proud that I can create items that people enjoy.

I also believe in the importance of buying things local and organic. With the new Monsanto Act just signed (Why, America? Why?), it is even more important to pay attention to what we are consuming. There are a lot of studies out there that shows GMO's to be extremely harmful to all animals (they do testing on mice and rats, and it's just so sad to see what happens to them). We don't buy any GMO foods (how do you do this, you ask? You do the most obvious thing... you look on the package of an item for "no-gmo"). It really is quite easy. It's better for the environment, and it is better for us. There is much literature about the importance of an organic based diet, as well as supporting your local farmers. The produce is so much better when you get it local. And if you're lucky enough like me and my partner, you can plant a huge garden right in your back yard with all organic seed. If you don't have a huge yard, you can always plant lettuce in planters (you can fit a good 4-6 head of lettuce in a pot). There are ways to incorporate healthy food in your diet without pay a fortune. And growing your own foods is one of the best feelings in the world. It's nice to be working out in the backyard and picking a tomato or a pepper off the vine and biting into it while you're working.

Enough on that rant. I didn't take any pictures of this dish because it was so ridiculously easy and I needed to hurry out the door, but it is delicious. It's done in a crock pot, left to cook all day long, so when you come home after a long day at work, your house smells like someone has been cooking all day. There is something about crock pot cooking that makes me happy. I know I am using good ingredients, and only doing a little bit of work to make something so delicious. And there's left overs. :)

White bean and kale stew
6 servings

1 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves, minced (I like things super garlic-y. if you don't, stick with 2)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
4 c. washed and chopped kale
1 tsp. dried oregano
5 c. water
2 15 oz. cans of white beans, unless you're patient like me and have some soaked overnight
2 tsp corriander

Either the night before, or the morning of, heat oil in a skillet and saute the onions until translucent. Add garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for about another minute or two. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine. If cooking the night before, store in a container in the fridge. If preparing the morning off, add to crock pot.

Add rest of ingredients except kale to the crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. About 30 minutes before you're going to serve, add the chopped kale. Cook for another 30 minutes, taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking before you're ready to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment